- Heidi worked for an ad agency, radio, and selling internet to higher education.
- She got laid off from her job, and her dad recommended that she become an insurance agent at All-State.
- She started her agency from scratch in 2004 and grew pretty quickly. She opened a second office in 2008 right before the market crash.
How to get through difficult times
- Control what you can control. Let the other things go.
- Control your attitude.
- Be a positive leader.
Marketing and getting Leads
- You should have a lot of different sources for leads.
- Don’t put all of your lead generation in one bucket.
- When you have multiple sources of leads, if one lead source is underperforming one month, you’ll still be okay.
Being successful as a business owner
- Have a good attitude. Your employees will match the attitude that you bring inn.
- Know you’re core values and mission statement.
- Hire, fire, and evaluate on those core values. This will build a company culture around your values.
- These values and mission statement can be fluid. They can change. That said, you shouldn’t be changing them all of the time.
- It’s easy to train skills and software, but you can’t train core values. Hire people that align with your values and train the skills.
How do you keep everything together?
- Hire the right people to do the right things. You won’t be good at everything.
Advice for new agency owners
- Find mentors or other people in the industry.
- Bounce ideas off of other business owners.
- Be willing to try new things.
Listen & Subscribe
I’d love to hear from you!
Have some feedback about the show? Feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also rate the show in Apple Podcasts or your favorite app to help more people discover the Unleash Your Lady Power Podcast!